Sunday, June 3, 2012

Oh - Hello

I know it's been a long time!  I can't believe that we are at the end of  May and looking toward Memorial Day that we are in the beginning of June.  I had started this post a week or so ago.  I tried to figure out how to add pictures from the laptop and haven't figured that out yet.  So when I finish with the text I will have to down to the 'dinosaur' and upload the pictures from there since I know how to do that.  I think this laptop is too smart and makes decisions for me and that that is the reason I can't upload the pictures.

I have been trying to clean up the stitching room.  I get so distracted when I go in there.  Several nights I went in to clean up and spent the time stitching on the first thing I picked up.  Kind of like a kid when you send them to clean their rooms.  So I have been playing and do have a few things to show.  I'm still not finished with the clean up but I have cleaned up the pile on the floor.  So I do see progress. I had decided that I need a calendar to keep track of which projects I've been working on so I can do my blog entries a bit more easily.  So I did begin that.  Here are April and May. 


April's Stitching

May's Stitching
In April I attended a class  at Salty Yarns in Ocean City, MD.  It was called   Maritime Sewing Case and taught by  Elizabeth Talledo of  Dames of the Needle/Finger Work fame.  What a wonderful weekend.  I have a few pictures of that to share.  I love the accomodations at the Lankford Hotel.  I managed to do lots of walking while I was there.  It is so easy on the boardwalk - nice and flat!  And the ocean air and breezes can't be beat.

The view from our balcony at the Lankford Hotel.  The first morning we saw dolphins right off the beach!

The living room/dining room/ kitchen combo at the Lankford Hotel.

My bedroom - for a few days at least. 
My progress on the class piece.  The top portion will be the box  to and was pre-stitched so that it could be assembled in class.  We painted the fabric (sounds scarier than it was) and I began the stitching for one of the sides of the box.
I am continuing to work on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.  This is my  'car' project and my take along to so many things since I don't need to read directions and don't need a lot of space to spread out.

Be Smart by Shepherd's Bush.  I have since added the buttons and finished the stitching on this one.   I'll post a picture when I've put it together.

Make It Do by Heartstring Samplery.  I have finished the stitching on this.  I'll post another picture of the finish - I have picked out the fabric and one of these nights I will put it together.

Schoolgirl Samplings by Blue Ribbon Designs.  I started working on this in Ocean  City.  I'll have to get this back out again one of these days. 
Personally, it has been a busy time.  My Baby Boy presented his thesis.  We took a day and went to watch him do that.  I didn't understand a lot of what he said but am so impressed with the way he was able to handle himself.   One person asked a really strange question and he handled it with ease.  I was sitting in my chair thinking what the heck did that guy just ask.  Baby Boy had an answer.   Later that week we went back to the college to watch our Baby Boy graduate!  He graduated Magna Cum Laude, with University honors and with departmental honors. Those four years have flown.   It seems like we were just dropping him off for his freshman year.  He has been offered a scholarship and stipend to attend grad school.  He begins that adventure in less than two weeks.  He hasn't had much time off to breathe but seems to be thriving in the midst of all the activity. We have helped him move into his new apartment and I think that he is unpacked and settled enough to start work tomorrow.  It was a lot of driving, moving, and shopping in a few short days.  When we left Kentucky yesterday I was amazed at what three of us were able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.  I will miss having him close but feel good that he has a nice apartment and will be comfortable there.  It felt like a home by the time we were finished.  Mission Accomplished!



Baby Boy and I at his graduation.

Baby Boy and I at the Arboretum in Lexington.

 Baby Girl attended her prom and had a great time with no drama (always a concern.) She will graduate from high school this week.  Where has that 13 years gone since she started Kindergarten.  She will be leaving for college in late August.  So shopping to do for her to get her the things she needs for her dorm.

I'll try to be a little more faithful in my updates.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and your children! Sounds like an empty nest to me. But, having just had my baby boy graduate I know not to say too much about that nest. lol

    Love your idea of keeping track of what you stitch. Maybe I should do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to both you and your children. How proud you must be feeling. Love all your wips and yes it's a great idea to track your stitching projects. I need to update my list:) Nice to see your back to the blogging world. I enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know just what you mean about becoming distracted in your stitching room. I get that way when I sit down to sort out my stash baskets. *sigh*

    Sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing time in MD. I love the ocean!

    My goodness all of your stitching here is lovely! I am quickly becoming a big fan of Heartstrings Samplery. She is just one of many talented designers. What would we do without them?

    You must be so very proud of your children's accomplishments. Well done! Time sure does fly by, doesn't it? Seems like just a short time ago that my son was going to elementary school and now he's a grown man. Hardly seems fair...I want to squish him back down to my little toehead again for just one day.

    Happy stitching..err ummmm...cleaning and organizing your stitching room.
    :^)

    ReplyDelete